Monday, October 6, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
October 6, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Jeremiah 6:15-8:7; Colossians 2:8-23; Psalm 78:1-31; Proverbs 24:26

Observation

“Will you steal and murder, commit adultery and perjury …and follow other gods you have not known, and then come and stand before Me in this house, which bears My name, and say, ‘We are safe – safe to do all these detestable things?’ ‘…But I have been watching declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 7:9-11

“Am I the One they are provoking? declares the Lord. Are they not rather harming themselves to their own shame?” Jeremiah 7:19

“I have listened attentively, but they do not say what is right. No one repents of his wickedness, saying, ‘What have I done?’ Each pursues his own course like a horse charging into battle.” Jeremiah 8:6

“See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.” Colossians 2:8-10

“…Reality is found in Christ.” Colossians 2:17

“What we have heard and known, what our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, His power, and the wonders He has done. …So the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children. Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget His deeds but would keep His commands.” Psalm 78:3, 6-7

Application

Sometimes we/I do things as if no one is watching, especially not God. God’s response is that “we harm ourselves to our own shame.” Too often I am like that horse, charging into battle, pursuing my own course. (Jer. 8:6) I need to remember that reality is found in Christ, not the things I chase after independently of Him. His fullness lives within me! O that I would live like it!

Passing the baton of faith to the next generation needs to be more than a verbal exchange. It needs to be something which is lived-out. It reminds me of the old saying, “Faith is better ‘caught’ than ‘taught.”

Prayer

“Lord, once again I pray for consistency in my walk. I want to follow You consistently. I want to obey You consistently. Please grant me strength, determination and discipline to be faithful.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home