Sunday, October 5, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
October 5, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Jeremiah 4:19-6:14; Colossians 1:21-2:7; Psalm 77:1-20; Proverbs 24:23-25

Observation

Sometimes I am surprised by what I find in Scripture. Jeremiah 5:7-9 is an example of one of those passages:

“Why should I forgive you? Your children have forsaken Me and sworn by gods that are not gods. I supplied all their needs, yet they committed adultery and thronged to the houses of prostitutes. They are well-fed, lusty stallions, each neighing for another man’s wife. Should I not punish them for this?’ declares the Lord. ‘Should I not avenge Myself on such a nation as this?”

Jeremiah 5:25b is surprisingly powerful and succinct,

“Your sins have deprived you of good.”

Jeremiah 6:13b-14 is a sad state of affairs, and unfortunately sounds like our present times,

“…Prophets and priests alike, all practice deceit. They dress the wound of My people as though it were not serious.”

“The mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints …is Christ in you, the hope of glory.”
Colossians 1:27

“My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” Colossians 2:2-3

I have never noticed Psalm 77:19-20 before, but it sounds like a reference to God leading His people through the Red Sea,

“Your path led through the sea, Your way through the mighty waters, though Your footprints were not seen. You led Your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.”

Application

I wonder how often my sins deprive me of good. It’s a powerful thought. Obviously sin always deprives us of good. But, sometimes we feel/live like there is no consequence for sin.

I wonder if the reference to prophets and priests dressing the wounds of God’s people as if they were not serious is an indictment of how sin is handled. It sounds like God is saying that His leaders minimize the effects of sin upon His people.

What a thought that “Christ in me” is the hope of glory! And, that “all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden in Christ!” This should affect the intensity and passion with which I seek after God!

Prayer

“Lord, help me to seek after You like buried treasure.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home