Friday, October 3, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
October 3, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Jeremiah 1:1-2:30; Philippians 4:1-23; Psalm 75:1-10; Proverbs 24:17-20

Observation

“The Word of the Lord came to me saying, ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” Jeremiah 1:4-5

“Has a nation ever changed its gods? (Yet they are not gods at all.) But my people have exchanged their Glory for worthless idols. Be appalled at this, O heavens, and shudder with great horror,’ declares the Lord. ‘My people have committed two sins: they have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water.”
Jeremiah 2:11-13

“Have you not brought this on yourselves by forsaking the Lord your God when He led you in the way? …Your wickedness will punish you; your backsliding will rebuke you. Consider then and realize how evil and bitter it is for you when you forsake the Lord your God and have no awe of Me,’ declares the Lord, the Lord Almighty. …Where then are the gods you made for yourselves? Let them come if they can save you when you are in trouble! For you have as many gods as you have towns, O Judah.”
Jeremiah 2:17,19, 28

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

“I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.” Philippians 4:11

“I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13

“And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19

“…the evil man has no future hope…” Proverbs 24:20

Application

I forsake God all too often and seek for satisfaction in things that are broken and empty. I need to consistently come to God to meet my needs and stop looking for worldly quick fixes.

Often I present my requests to God without praise or thanksgiving, but I’m struck by the fact that the “praise/thanksgiving” precedes the “peace” in Philippians 4:6-7.

I am not content enough. In fact, I’m discontent with how content I am! No seriously, my emotions are too dependent upon good circumstances. I need to seek for the joy which God provides rather than the happiness which merely results from good “happenings.”

Prayer

“Lord, help me to learn to draw upon Your strength and not my own. Help me to trust You to provide for all my needs.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home