Sunday, September 28, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
September 28, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Isaiah 54:1-57:13; Ephesians 6:1-24; Psalm 70:1-5; Proverbs 24:8

Observation

Isaiah 54:10 is a great promise to hold on to in these uncertain times,

“Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor My covenant of peace be removed.”

God’s question to His people in Isaiah 55:2 is even more astounding when seen through the lens of His incredible offer in the preceding verse (55:1),

“Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to Me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.” Isaiah 55:2

“Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.” Isaiah 55:1

These verses, coupled with Isaiah 55:11, are even more amazing in light of Jesus’ claim in John 6:35 to be the “Bread of Life”,

“My Word that goes out from My mouth will not return to me empty, but will accomplish the purpose for which I sent it.” (55:11)

Isaiah 57:1 offers an interesting perspective on why God often takes wonderful Christian people “prematurely” (from our perspective),

“…Devout men are taken away, and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil.”

“Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men” (Ephesians 6:7), and “Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power (by) putting on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.” (Ephesians 6:10-11)

Application

I need to focus on God (my Rock) more, and less on my circumstances, during times of uncertainty. I realize that I often go into battle unarmed, or at the most – partially armed. I need to take advantage of God’s gracious offer to equip me for spiritual warfare.

Prayer

“Lord, may I love You with an ‘undying love’ (Ephesians 6:24).”

2 Comments:

At September 29, 2008 at 11:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess God can even use someone like me for his Kingdom. Not likely in Ventura... but somewhere. He blessed me with good grades my first quarter of Seminary!

Global and Contextual Ministries: Final Paper entitled 'Prayer and The Great Commission' - Grade "A-" / Final Grade "A-".

Hermeneutics: Final Paper entitled 'Exegesis of James' - Grade "A-" / Final Grade "B+".

Indeed His word does not return empty. (Isaiah 55:11)

 
At September 29, 2008 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Bob DuPar said...

Congratulations! I'm really happy for you. I'm glad to hear that God is rewarding your hard work with confirmations of His blessing and goodness.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home