Saturday, September 20, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
September 20, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Isaiah 33:13-36:22; Galatians 5:13-26; Psalm 64:1-10; Proverbs 23:23

Observation

“You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. …So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.”
Galatians 5:13, 16

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.” Galatians 5:22-25

Application

Serving others! What a practical way to keep from degenerating into narcissism and living for ourselves. Paul wrote in Romans 6:1-2,

“What shall we say then? Are we to continue to sin that grace might increase? May it never be! How can we who died to sin still live in it?”

Grace is not an excuse to indulge our flesh; grace gives us the confidence to know that sin can never disqualify us from the race for the prize. Grace gives us the courage to get back up and keep running when we fall. Sin is an appetite. If I feed it, it will roar with increasing intensity; if I deny it and live by the Spirit, and for the Spirit, it will eventually lose its hold on me.

Prayer

“Lord, fill me with the fruit of Your Spirit. Fill me with Your desires and Your character. Guard me from indulging my sinful desires.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home