Saturday, September 13, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
September 13, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Isaiah 12:1-14:32; 2 Corinthians 13:1-14; Psalm 57:1-11; Proverbs 23:9-11

Observation

“How you have fallen from heaven, O star of the morning, son of the dawn! You have been cut down to the earth, You who have weakened the nations! But you said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God, and I will sit on the mount of assembly in the recesses of the north. I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.’ Nevertheless you will be thrust down to Sheol, to the recesses of the pit.”
Isaiah 14:12-15

Isaiah wrote this passage speaking of the King of Babylon, but Jesus also used verse 12 to describe Satan’s fall (Luke 10:18; Rev. 12:8–10). This is similar to when God also addressed Satan in His words to the serpent (Gen. 3:14, 15). Satan is the inspiration and energy behind worldly leaders who use their authority and power for wickedness. “Lucifer” means “shining one,” and many times it is translated as “morning star.” John MacArthur notes, “Tradition of the time saw the stars as representing gods battling among themselves for places of preeminence.”

Paul issues a tough but healthy challenge in 2 Corinthians 13:5,

“Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you – unless, of course, you fail the test?”

2 Corinthians 13:11 is a great closing verse as well as an excellent verse to live by,

“Finally, brothers… Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.”

Application

Anytime I choose to think or act against God’s will I can be assured that Satan is fueling my motivation. I need to examine and test myself daily – not to determine whether I’m still a Christian, but rather to confirm that I’m living “in the faith.” It’s all too easy to get off track and stop living what I believe in my heart and what I profess with my mouth. I need to live in healthy accountability with others and welcome their scrutiny and advice.

Prayer

“God, help me to live my life in openness and accountability before others. May I never be ‘above’ listening to the suggestions and correction of others. And, please grant me the wisdom to always hear Your voice over the roar of the world’s advice.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home