Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
September 3, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Ecclesiastes 4:1-6:12; 2 Corinthians 6:14-7:7; Psalm 47:1-9; Proverbs 22:16

Observation

I have always liked Ecclesiastes 4:9-12, especially verse 12,

“Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

5:2,5-6 & 7 stood out to me,

“Do not be quick with your mouth; do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. …It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it. Do not let your mouth lead you into sin. …Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore stand in awe of God.”

The contrast of 5:10 and 5:19 caught my attention,

“Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income…”

“…When God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work – this is a gift of God.”

Finally, 2 Corinthians 6:16, 18 & 7:1 spoke to me,

“…God has said, ‘I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people. …I will be a Father to you, and you will be My sons and daughters… Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.”

Application

Ecclesiastes 4 is a strong challenge and case for living in community rather than trying a “lone ranger” approach to life.

Ecclesiastes 5 is a reminder for me to guard my lips and think twice before I make empty promises to God. God would rather have us live in awe of Him than to talk up a storm about how great He is and then live like He was a senile old man who was ignorant to the incongruity between our words and actions.

The phrase “perfecting holiness” in 2 Corinthians 7:1 means that I am to “finish” or “complete” the course of striving to be like Jesus. Holiness is a choice. It is a conscious, deliberate decision to daily rid my life of sin and to passionately pursue righteousness – that which pleases God.

Prayer

“Lord, may I honor You in my choices. Grant me the power to choose good over evil, Your perfect will over my lustful impulses and selfish desires.”

1 Comments:

At October 22, 2008 at 5:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked when you said, "perfecting holiness" means I am to “finish” the course of striving to be like Jesus; and that holiness is a conscious, deliberate choice. You say it with such confidence.

But I can't seem to reconcile it with the fact that I found the end of myself in striving. No matter how hard I tried, it was never good enough... and it clearly wasn't holy.

Help me understand how to practice and perfect that [holiness] which I cannot produce? I'm badly in need grace and my works are quite pathetic. You seem to get it. Why don't I get it?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home