Sunday, August 24, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
August 24, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Job 12:1-15:35; 1 Corinthians 15:29-58; Psalm 39:1-13; Proverbs 21:30-31

Observation

Job’s sarcasm in 12:2-3 is hilarious. Basically he says, “O.K. as much as you thing that you’re the voice of authority and that wisdom will cease to exist when you die, I have a mind as well. I’m not in any way inferior to you!”

I have always been encouraged and challenged by Job 13:15,

“Though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him.”

1 Corinthians 15:33-34 is great advice,

“Do not be misled: ‘Bad company corrupts good character.’ Come back to your senses as you ought, and stop sinning.”

I heard of a church nursery that had the words of 1 Corinthians 15:51 over the doorway:

“I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed.”

Finally, I was encouraged by 1 Corinthians 15:57-58,

“But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.”

Application

The challenge in giving advice to others is to not come off looking like a know-it-all. Godly advice seasoned with humility and acknowledgment of personal failure/imperfection goes a long way in increasing receptivity.

A healthy question to ask ourselves in relation to 1 Corinthians 15:33 is, “Who is rubbing off on whom?” Do I influence the company I keep or do they influence me? For good or for bad?

Because we have been assured of victory in Jesus, we must never tire of doing His work, knowing that an investment in the Kingdom is never in vain.

Prayer

“Lord, may the words of 1 Corinthians 15:58 characterize my life: ‘Steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home