Saturday, August 23, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
August 22, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Job 4:1-7:21; 1 Corinthians 14:18-40; Psalm 37:30-40; Proverbs 21:27

Observation

Job’s pain and anguish is intense, especially in chapter 7,

“…My eyes will never see happiness again. …I despise my life …My days have no meaning.” (vss. 7, 16)

And, Job doesn’t hold anything back in his prayer to God in 7:19-20. It’s real and honest,

“Will you never look away from me, or let me alone even for an instant? If I have sinned, what have I done to You, O Watcher of Men? Why have You made me Your target? Have I become a burden to You?”

I like Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 14:20,

“In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults.”

I don’t fully understand Paul’s teaching regarding women in 1 Corinthians, but it seems that the admonition for them to remain silent in church has to do with the interpretation of prophetic utterances since he has just said in 1 Corinthians 11:5 that he permits a woman to pray and prophesy as long as her head is covered.


Application

It’s hard to understand why God allows suffering in our lives. But, we know that God never wastes any experiences. He doesn’t play games with us and test us to see how much we can take, because He already knows our limits. And, as Paul says in Romans 8:28, “God causes all things to work together for good.” I need to trust God more, particularly during times when the hurt in my life seems pointless and not resulting in any greater good.

Prayer

“God, thank You that You are sovereign and that everything You do involves a purpose and a plan – nothing is capricious. Thank You that You love me, more than I will ever comprehend, and that everything You do is guided by this love. Help me to trust You and rest in this trust. Amen.”

1 Comments:

At August 23, 2008 at 8:38 AM , Blogger Just a thought... said...

Job didn't need to prove anything to God, but did he need to show Job what he's made of when the heat is turned up? He was righteous, but that only because he lived with success, wealth and ease? Unlikely, since we see him praying in reponse to the sin of his children and all the material wealth means nothing when children's lives are out of obediance and relationship with God. He never knew he was the center of a spiritual contest or test. I can wrestle through something with perserverance if I know what the purpose is, even if the purpose seems to be to show me my own weakness, but we often have no idea. What if Noah's whole struggle was to provide a story and example to future generations of faithfulness in the midst of unexplained suffering? Ok for Noah, but am I willing to allow my suffering to be simply an example to someone else of faithfulness in every circumstance. Living a life of sacrifice. Living a life to the benefit of others. Whoa. That is laying down a life for a friend, as its best.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home