Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
August 14, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Nehemiah 7:61-9:21; 1 Corinthians 9:1-18; Psalm 33:12-22; Proverbs 21:11-12

Observation

I’m amazed by the reference in Nehemiah 8:3ff. that Nehemiah read the Book of the Law of Moses to the people from “daybreak till noon” (at least 6 hours), and that N. and the people stood the whole time! The text even adds, “And all the people listened attentively.” No one dosed off slipped in and out of consciousness.

Nehemiah 8:10 has been a favorite verse for a long time,

“Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”

The phrasing of Nehemiah 9:17 is so illogical that it’s embarrassing:

“…in their rebellion they appointed a leader in order to return to their slavery.”

Nehemiah 9:21 records a miracle which is often overlooked and which receives little attention in pulpits,

“For forty years You (God) sustained them in the desert; they lacked nothing, their clothes did not wear out nor did their feet become swollen.”

Finally, I really liked Psalm 33:13-22 – but especially verse 18,

“The eyes of the Lord are on those who fear Him, on those whose hope is in His unfailing love.”

Application

I need to rely on the joy of the Lord more to be my strength rather than an artificial boost through favorable circumstances or my own personal energy.

Whenever we sin it leads to slavery. We don’t need to appoint a leader to take us there! Satan is the silent leader in this. I need to realize that when I disobey God I set myself up to be led to places I don’t want to go.

Prayer

“God, I wait in hope for You. You are my help and my shield. In You my heart rejoices. May Your unfailing love rest on me even as I put my hope in You.” (Psalm 33:20-22)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home