Friday, August 8, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
August 8, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Ezra 7:1-8:20; 1 Corinthians 4:1-21; Psalm 30:1-12; Proverbs 20:28-30

Observation

“Ezra devoted himself to the study and observance of the law of the Lord, and to teaching its decrees and laws in Israel.” (Ezra 7:10)

This is a simple line in our reading today; and yet, what a noble pursuit and activity to “devote” oneself to. We need more people today who are devoted to studying and teaching God’s Word.

I love Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 4:4-5,

“My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. …He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts.”

Nothing escapes God’s notice. He will bring all things into the light – even the motives of men’s hearts!

Finally, what a great reminder in 1 Corinthians 4:20,

“For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.”

Application

I’m glad that I devoted my life to the study and teaching of God’s Word. My challenge is to never grow complacent in my devotion; and, to never try and sustain myself on “yesterday’s manna.”

I’m convicted that too often the Kingdom of God is more about talk than power. And, perhaps this is because there is so little action – so few people who translate their faith into works. As a pastor, I run the constant risk of saying more than I do. I need to strive to keep these things in balance.

Prayer

“Lord, grant me opportunities to be powerfully used by You.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home