Saturday, August 9, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
August 9, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Ezra 8:21-9:15; 1 Corinthians 5:1-13; Psalm 31:1-8; Proverbs 21:1-2

Observation

The end of Ezra 9:8 stood out to me in today’s reading,

“Our God gives light to our eyes and a little relief in our bondage.”

The simplicity of 1 Corinthians 5:7 as well as the connection of Christ as our Passover lamb is neat.

1 Corinthians 5:9-11 is a great reminder that God never calls us to disassociate from immoral people, only immoral Christians. As Paul says, otherwise we would have “to leave this world.” God calls us to be in the world but not “of” it. Even Jesus in His high priestly prayer of John 17:15 says, “I do not ask You (God) to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one.” Sometimes we take verses like 1 Corinthians 15:33 out of context, “Do not be deceived: Bad company corrupts good morals;” and, we use them as proof texts for abandoning our relationships with unbelievers, thereby also relinquishing our witness.

Finally, I liked Proverbs 21:2,

“All a man’s ways seem right to him, but the Lord weighs the heart.”

Application

I need to spend more time with those who don’t subscribe to my beliefs. I need to nurture relationships with them, and not merely invite them to Christian events. I need to demonstrate that my concern and interest in them goes further than their soul (as important as that is).

Prayer

“Lord, once again, provide opportunities for me to form friendships with those who don’t know You. Please use me to communicate to them how much You love them.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home