Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
August 12, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Nehemiah 3:15-5:13; 1 Corinthians 7:25-40; Psalm 32:1-11; Proverbs 21:5-7

Observation

I was amused by all of the references to the people in Nehemiah 3 who worked on portions of the wall which were right in front of their house or next to their home. It makes a lot of sense in that people are motivated to rebuild a wall that directly protects their living area.

I enjoyed Nehemiah’s words of leadership in 4:14,

“Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

Every good leader needs to calm the fears of his/her followers by directing them to the Lord and His awesome power. I also loved the visual of the workers fighting with one hand and building with the other.

Nehemiah took a wonderful stand against the nobles and officials and their oppression of their countrymen; and their response to his challenge was truly an act of God. I like that he took it a step further and made them promise in front of the priests. The result was that “the people did as they had promised.” (5:13)

Finally, I liked Psalm 32:7-8,

“You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.

Application

As a leader I need to continually direct people to the Lord and His sufficiency. Sometimes as leaders we have a tendency to try and fix everyone’s problems. And, this creates an unhealthy dependence upon us rather than the Lord. I also need to confront injustice and trust God with the results. Taking a stand for what is right is not always easy but it does come with God’s blessing.

Prayer

“Lord, continue to help me point people to You. Please give me daily opportunities in which I can direct the focus to You.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home