Sunday, August 10, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
August 10, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Ezra 10:1-44; 1 Corinthians 6:1-20; Psalm 31:9-18; Proverbs 21:3

Observation

Shecaniah’s plan in Ezra 10:3 to send off the foreign wives and children in an attempt to be faithful to God once again sounds noble, but listen to the phrasing:

“Now let us make a covenant before our God to send away all these wives and their children.”

Either Shecaniah wasn’t married or he wasn’t very attached to his wife and children – “all these wives and their children.” The agreement/covenant was successful because a proclamation went out which everyone had to respond to within 3 days or they forfeited all their property.

Verses in 1 Corinthians which stood out to me are:

“And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.” (6:11)

“Everything is permissible for me – but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me – but I will not be mastered by anything.”
(6:12)

“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.” (6:19-20)


Application

I must never forget that I am a sinner saved by grace. The only difference between me and those who are trapped in lifestyles of sin and destruction is that I have been washed, sanctified and justified. Because of this, I need to extend the same grace to others that I have been offered.

A lot of things are lawful or permissible for me, but they also have the potential of enslaving me by their addictive nature. I will grow in Christian maturity as I deny myself things that I’m entitled to in order to be truly free – free to enjoy life as God intended.

Prayer

“Lord, help me to honor You with my body. I was created to glorify You. Help me to remember this in the times when I think it’s all about me.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home