Friday, August 15, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
August 15, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Nehemiah 9:22-10:39; 1 Corinthians 9:19-10:13; Psalm 34:1-10; Proverbs 21:13

Observation

The corporate confession in Nehemiah 9:33 is neat because there is no attempt at rationalizing or justifying their sin,

“In all that has happened to us, You have been just; You have acted faithfully, while we did wrong.”

I love 1 Corinthians 9:24-27, especially in light of the Olympics,

“Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 25 Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; 27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.”

I have often quoted 1 Corinthians 10:13 which says that “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”

But, I don’t know that I have ever noticed the verse immediately preceding (10:12),

“So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall!”
I never grow tired of Psalm 34:8-9,

“Taste and see that the Lord is good. …Fear (obey) the Lord, for those who fear Him lack nothing.”

Finally, I thought that Proverbs 21:13 was powerful, “If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.”

Application

In everything I do I need to “run in such a way that I may win.” Good training leads to good running, and the possibility of winning races. To train hard and then give a half-hearted effort in a race is a waste of time and energy as well as God-given gifts and abilities. To be undisciplined and irregular in training and then go-all-out on race day is to foolishly attempt to draw from a foundation of fitness that was never laid.

It strikes me that 1 Corinthians 10:12 is saying that I need to make sure I’m standing on the firm foundation of Christ when I enter into temptation and testing. And, spiritual training and discipline helps me to stand firm.

Prayer

“God, may I never shut out the cries or needs of the poor and disadvantaged. You are good! I have tasted of Your goodness. Help me to spread the Word that only You satisfy.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home