Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
September 2, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Ecclesiastes 1:1-3:22; 2 Corinthians 6:1-13; Psalm 46:1-11; Proverbs 22:15

Observation

“Meaningless! Meaningless! …Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless.” (Ecclesiastes 1:2)

I’m not certain, but I’m pretty sure that Solomon wrote these words right after he dropped his first daughter off at college!

“For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.” (Ecclesiastes 1:18)

This would make a great theme verse for an institution of higher education. I’m glad no one shared this verse with me when I was going through college and seminary. Actually, it’s not the knowledge that brings the sorrow and grief – it’s the debt you accumulate pursuing the knowledge!

“I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure.”
(Ecclesiastes 2:10)

This sounds like a dangerous game plan – a recipe for disaster! Not everything we desire is healthy for us; and, pleasure doesn’t necessarily bring joy to the heart. 2:24-26 adds that wisdom, knowledge and happiness (enjoyment) come from the hand of God. “To find satisfaction in our work” is a gift from God (3:13). Otherwise, everything is vanity; because as Solomon says – you work hard only to possibly leave what you have worked for in the hands of some fool.

In the end, Psalm 46:10 is great counsel,

“Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

Application

I desire to discover the knowledge, wisdom and happiness that God provides and wills for me rather than that which I seek to achieve through my own efforts.

I need to take time – intentional, prolonged time, to rest and be still before God. Jesus did, and in so doing provided a model for us all.

Prayer

“Lord, help me to take time to be still before You. Help me to depend upon You and not get so busy that I forget You altogether. Please be with Amanda as she begins this new chapter of her life. Protect her, guide her and bless her – richly. Thank You that I can rest knowing that You will (continue to) be her Father while we are apart.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home