Monday, August 25, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
August 25, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Job 16:1-19:29; 1 Corinthians 16:1-24; Psalm 40:1-10; Proverbs 22:1

Observation

Job 16:1-5 sounds like contemporary language rather than something that was written over 3,000 years ago. Job’s response is humorous and wise:

“I have heard many things like these; (you’re not telling me anything new, anything I haven’t heard before) miserable comforters are you all! Will your long-winded speeches never end? …I also could speak like you, if you were in my place. I could make fine speeches against you and shake my head at you. But my mouth would encourage you; comfort from my lips would bring you relief.”

I have always loved Job 19:25-27,

“I know that my Redeemer lives and that in the end He will stand upon the earth. …in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see Him with my own eyes – I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!”

1 Corinthians 16:13-14 is great counsel for fathers and for all men in positions of leadership,

“Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.”

Finally, I love the way that Hebrews 10:5 records Psalm 40:6. “My ears you have pierced” (common practice with bond slaves), becomes “a body You have prepared for Me” when Christ quotes it.

Application

There are times when we are called to hold friends accountable for sin and to speak the truth in love. But, when someone is suffering, especially when it’s not resulting from sin, our words should bring encouragement, comfort and relief.

We need more courageous, strong men, firm in their faith, who do everything in love.

The way that we please God and serve Him is not through burnt sacrifice and offerings, but rather through offering up our body as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God (Romans 12:1-2).

Prayer

“Lord, help me to stand strong in my faith, to be courageous; and, to do everything in love.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home