Thursday, September 4, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
September 4, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Ecclesiastes 7:1-9:18; 2 Corinthians 7:8-16; Psalm 48:1-14; Proverbs 22:17-19

Observation

“Do not say, ‘Why were the old days better than these?’ For it is not wise to ask such questions.” Ecclesiastes 7:10

What a practical verse. And, besides, God is not a God of the past – He is also the God of the present and future. His miraculous works and mighty power are not limited to the past – they are alive and well today. God says in Isaiah 43:18-19,

“Do not call to mind the former things, or ponder things of the past. Behold, I will do something new, now it will spring forth; will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, Rivers in the desert.”

Ecclesiastes 9:11 sounds like a proverb, and is a good reminder,

“The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all.”

9:17, 18 was really good as well,

“The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded than the shouts of a ruler of fools. …one sinner destroys much good.”

2 Corinthians 7:10 is great teaching on the difference between godly and worldly sorrow,

“Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.”

Finally, I found Psalm 48:14 to be a great encouragement,

“For this God (described in verses 1-9) is our God for ever and ever; He will be our guide even to the end.”

Application

Too often I live life in the rear-view mirror, doubting decisions I’ve made, regretting mistakes I’ve made and ultimately not trusting God that He is able “to do above and beyond all I can ask, think or imagine according to His power at work in me!” (Ephesians 3:20)

“True repentance…leaves no regret.” As I turn away from things that are harmful for me, God promises to fill me with the “new things” that He has for me – so that I won’t miss the “old.” Plus, when I see the “old” as He sees it, I will agree with Him that it was not good for me. It reminds me of the old hymn: “I have decided to follow Jesus…no turning back, no turning back.”

Prayer

“Lord, help me not to doubt Your perfect will for me. Help me to always trust that Your will leads to my greatest joy and fulfillment when I’m tempted to seek short-term, worldly solutions.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home