Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
October 21, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Jeremiah 37:1-38:28; 1 Timothy 6:1-21; Psalm 89:38-52; Proverbs 25:28

Observation

Jeremiah was persecuted in Jeremiah 38 simply for being faithful to “truthfully” proclaim God’s Word, rather than to tell people what they want to hear. He was accused of “discouraging the soldiers” and “not seeking the good of the people, but rather their ruin.” But, sometimes truth is discouraging. Discouraging truth that leads to our well being is much better than encouraging lies that set a trap for our destruction. Jeremiah was faithful to God, and yet he ended up in a smelly, muddy pit (cistern).

Jeremiah’s bitter sarcasm in 38:15 is understandable,

“Promise you won’t kill me if I give you a truthful answer; because I’m not motivated to give you counsel at all since you never listen anyway.”
(My wording)
I was struck by the phrasing of 1 Timothy 6:5,

“…men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the Truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.”

“But, godliness with contentment is great gain.” 1 Timothy 6:6

“Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.” 1 Timothy 6:12

“Don’t be arrogant and don’t put your hope in wealth, which is so uncertain (stock market, economy!). But, put your hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. …Do good, be rich in good deeds, be generous and willing to share. In this way you will lay up treasure for yourselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that you may take hold of the life that is truly life.” 1 Timothy 6:17-19

(I took the liberty of changing the pronouns from 3rd person to 2nd person to personalize Paul’s command as also applying to us and not just a group of Jews 2,000 years ago.)

“Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control.” Proverbs 25:28

Application

Sometimes I interpret trials and tough times as a sign that God is frustrated with me or that I am out of His will. Yet, Jeremiah ended up in a pit (no fault or sin of his own). Again, I’m reminded of Philippians 1:29,

“For to you it has been granted for Christ’s sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake.”

How am I taking hold of the eternal life to which I have been called? In part, I believe it involves a fight – fighting the good fight: living without compromise, living obediently. Again, in verse 19 Paul says, “Take hold of the life that is truly life.”

When I lose my self-control in any area of my life, I am like a city without walls – vulnerable to attack and seizure.

Prayer

“Lord, I don’t want to merely ‘seize the day,’ I want to seize life – ‘the life that is truly life!’ Please help me not to settle for lesser things. Guard me against selling out for immediate gratification rather than the rewards which come through faithful obedience to You.”

1 Comments:

At October 22, 2008 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

soooo, I googled you to get your current church info and stumbled on your blog. VERY cool!
Soo, game on...
-sam
www.MusingsWithSam.wordpress.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home