Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
November 6, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Ezekiel 14:12-16:42; Hebrews 7:18-28; Psalm 106:1-12; Proverbs 27:4-6

Observation

“But you trusted in your beauty and used your fame to become a prostitute. …you increased your promiscuity… but even with this you were not satisfied.” Ezekiel 16:15, 29

“So in your prostitution you are the opposite of others; no one runs after you for your favors. You are the very opposite, for you give payment and none is given to you.” Ezekiel 16:34

“…a better hope is introduced by which we draw near to God. …Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant. …because Jesus lives forever, He has a permanent priesthood. Therefore He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them.” Hebrews 7:19, 22, 24-25

“Better is open rebuke than hidden love. Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.” Proverbs 27:5-6


Application

Sin is taking our gifts and blessings and using them to promote our agenda rather than God’s. Indulging in sin does not lead to satisfaction; it only leads to a greater appetite – an insatiable appetite which cannot be satisfied.

What a true picture of the price of sin in Ezekiel 16:34: giving payment while none is given to you. When we sin, we pay a price, and there is no remuneration – no recompense.

I like the NIV version of Hebrews 7:25 because it stresses the totality of salvation: “He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him (Jesus)…” Salvation is past, present and future: justification, sanctification and glorification. The application that I draw from this is that I never stop needing Christ as my Savior!

Friends tell us what we may not want to hear, yet need to hear. Friends have the relational clout to be brutally honest with us. They have earned our trust. They have proven that they love us and have our best interests in mind. Enemies have to fake love and concern by multiplying kisses.

Prayer

“Jesus, thank You for saving me every minute of every day! I’m reminded of the words of the old hymn: ‘I need Thee, O I need Thee. Every hour I need Thee. O bless me now my Savior. I come to Thee.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home