Thursday, November 27, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
November 27, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Daniel 4:1-37; 2 Peter 1:1-21; Psalm 119:97-112; Proverbs 28:17-18

Observation

Our reading started today with King Nebuchadnezzar proclaiming to all peoples and nations, men of every language, “the miraculous signs and wonders that the Most High God had performed for him.” (Daniel 4:2) But somehow along the way, things went to his head and by Daniel 4:28 he’s singing a different tune: “Is this not the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?”

God’s response to this arrogance and self delusion is found in 4:26: “…your kingdom will be restored to you when you acknowledge that Heaven rules.”

“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. By these He has given us His very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.” 2 Peter 1:3-4

Application

There seems to be a theme running through the Scripture passages of people trying to take credit for the work of God. I need to continually remember that God’s blessings in my life are the result of His goodness and grace and not anything which I have attained on my own merit or cleverness.

My knowledge of God helps me escape the corruption of the world as I learn how I can participate in His divine nature through the power of His Holy Spirit.

Prayer

“Lord, help me to experience all that You desire for me. May I not compromise and settle for lesser things which this world has to offer. Grant me wisdom to make wise choices.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home