Monday, November 17, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
November 17, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Ezekiel 35:1-36:38; James 1:1-18; Psalm 116:1-19; Proverbs 27:23-27

Observation

“I will cleanse you from all your iniquities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.”
Ezekiel 36:25-27

“Then you will remember your evil ways and wicked deeds, and you will loathe yourselves for your sins and detestable practices. I want you to know that I am not doing this for your sake, declares the Sovereign Lord. Be ashamed and disgraced for your conduct, O house of Israel!
Ezekiel 36:32

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” James 1:2-4

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him.” James 1:12

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”
James 1:17

“The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. The Lord protects the simplehearted; when I was in great need, He saved me.”
Psalm 116:5-6

“Be sure you know the condition of your flocks; give careful attention to your herds…” Proverbs 27:23

Application

Ezekiel 36:32 reminded me of the verse in Romans which says,

“God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance…” Romans 2:4

In Ezekiel 36:32 God says, “I am not doing this for your sake…” I believe what is meant here is that God’s blessings are not reward for righteous living (which is how we often interpret them) but rather God’s mercy in giving us what we don’t deserve as He calls us back to obedience.

I wish there was a road or path to becoming “perfect and complete, lacking in nothing” which did not involve trial and suffering. I need to look at more of the trials in my life from a redemptive, purposeful viewpoint rather than from a punitive, senseless vantage point.

Prayer

“Lord God, thank You for each and every one of Your perfect gifts and blessings in my life – even the ones I miss. The ones which sometimes come wrapped inside a trial.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home