Friday, June 6, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
June 6, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

1 Kings 1:1-53; Acts 4:1-37; Psalm 124:1-8; Proverbs 16:24.

Observation

O.K. I must be missing something. Did David not have enough wives to keep him warm? Was it really necessary that this “bed-warmer” be a virgin? And, that she be beautiful? Customs like this which were accepted as normal just crack me up. Can you say “dysfunctional?”

I love the story of Peter and John in Acts 4 and their response to the correction of the rulers, elders & teachers of the Law:

“Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God’s sight to obey you rather than God. For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.”

Oh that each one of us could not stop talking about what we have seen and heard in our Christian walk. And, I love the evidence of true community in Acts 4:32-35,

“And the congregation of those who believed were of one heart and soul; and not one of them claimed that anything belonging to him was his own, but all things were common property to them. 33 And with great power the apostles were giving testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and abundant grace was upon them all. 34 For there was not a needy person among them, for all who were owners of land or houses would sell them and bring the proceeds of the sales 35 and lay them at the apostles’ feet, and they would be distributed to each as any had need.”

“There was not a needy person among them.” This should be the norm in the church.

Application

Once again, I need to grow in my evangelistic boldness. Sharing my faith should be a natural, enthusiastic overflow from my life. As a guilty, materialistic 21st century American, I need to mature in my practice of “true” community.

Prayer

“God, help me to hear Your voice and possess Your eyes and Your heart as I reach out to meet the needs of those around me. Please bless me with Your wisdom to make proper decisions and choices.”

1 Comments:

At June 6, 2008 at 11:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

judge not the "bed-warmer" lest ye be judged!

couldn't resist. (lol)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home