Thursday, May 29, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
May 29, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

2 Samuel 14:1-15:22; John 18:1-24; Psalm 119:97-112; Proverbs 16:8-9.

Observation

2 Samuel 14:14b is such a beautiful insight into God’s heart, and I don’t remember ever noticing it before:

“But God does not take away life; instead he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from Him.”

2 Samuel 14:25 is quite a statement: “In all Israel there was not a man so highly praised for his handsome appearance as Absalom.” A verse later it says that he would cut his hair occasionally when it would get too heavy, and it weighed 200 shekels. That’s 5 pounds! I guess so!

14:28 is a sad commentary on the relationship David had with his son Absalom. Absalom lived two years in Jerusalem (after David brought him back) without seeing David’s face. How is that possible?

Later in the next chapter (15) this poor relationship between David and his son plays out in Absalom secretly candidating for the throne by capitalizing on the complaints of the people with empty promises of how he would make a better king.

I love it in John 18:6 when Jesus reveals His identity to the soldiers and officials and they fall to the ground. Now that power and authority!

Jesus’ words to Peter in 18:11 – “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given Me?” – are such an affirmation that Jesus knew His purpose and calling and was not going to bail out or avoid it.

Finally, Psalm 119:97-112 is such an amazing passage speaking to the power of God’s Word and the Psalmists deep love for it: “Your commands make me wiser than my enemies,” “I have more insight than my teachers, because I meditate on Your statutes,” “Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path,” “Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart. My heart is set on keeping Your decrees to the very end!”

Application

How easy it is for people to undermine our leadership when we are not in close relationship to them. Jesus’ words in John 18:11 convict me of all the times I run from God’s will for my life, deceiving myself that alternate choices will accomplish the same purpose. God gave me Proverbs 16:9 in college as a life verse: “The mind of a man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.” I’m still learning the delicate balance of my freewill and God’s sovereignty, but it’s comforting to know that I am being led and guided by One much wiser than me – One who sees the beginning from the end, and One who “works all things together for good!”

Prayer

“God, my prayer is Psalm 119:112, ‘My heart is set on keeping Your decrees to the very end. Please help me. Give me the strength and determination to never back away from this goal.”

1 Comments:

At May 30, 2008 at 12:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Mar 10:42 Calling them to Himself, Jesus *said to them, "You know that those who are recognized as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them; and their great men exercise authority over them.
Mar 10:43 "But it is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant;
Mar 10:44 and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be slave of all.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home