Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
May 20, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

1 Samuel 26:1-28:25; John 11:1-53; Psalm 117:1-2; Proverbs 15:22-23.

Observation

It’s commendable that Saul “expelled the mediums and spiritists from the land” (1 Samuel 28:3), but a few verses later (5-7) he’s desiring to consult with a medium because God won’t speak to him and give him counsel anymore.

I’m always impressed by Martha’s faith in John 11. Martha says to Jesus, “If You had been here, my brother would not have died.” Most of us would stop there – angry, disillusioned and feeling pretty justified in our frustration. But, Martha goes on: “But I know that even now…” Faith in the midst of the impossible! This is belief in the face of extreme sorrow. She believed that Jesus was the resurrection and the life, the Christ, the Son of God, who had come into the world.

Jesus’ emotions and compassion in John 11:33-38 are encouraging since He (being God) gives us a window into the heart of God – a view and perspective that few Jews had ever seen or experienced.

Jesus says in 11:40, “Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?”

Finally, I have always liked Proverbs 15:22: “Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.”

Application

Saul is a great example of how our actions to eradicate sin don’t mean much if we turn around and dig it up and seek it out all over again.
I’m also struck by John 11:40. I wonder how many times I miss seeing the glory of God at work because I lack belief.

Prayer

“God, fill me with tremendous faith that takes You at Your word, that believes that nothing is too difficult for You, and which never rules out the possibility of a miracle, divinely intervening and crashing through into my life.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home