Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
May 14, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

1 Samuel 15:1-16:23; John 8:1-20; Psalm 110:1-7; Proverbs 15:8-10.

Observation

Today’s OT reading is a lesson in following God’s instructions to the final detail. Details like: “these they were unwilling to destroy completely,” (1 Samuel 15:9) and “Saul has set up a monument in his own honor,” (15:12) are signs that Saul is not only headed for trouble but is also losing his anointing. Yet, Saul insists in 15:13 that he has carried out God’s orders. Samuel’s response is a riot:

“What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears? What is this lowing of cattle that I hear?” (15:14) Saul persists with excuses, but Samuel quickly responds, “Stop!” Samuel has had enough of the self-justification; and, he utters that famous statement, “To obey is better than sacrifice.” (15:22) I can hear Keith Green singing these words right now!

Finally, Saul confesses the truth in 15:24:

“I have sinned. I violated the Lord’s command and your instructions. I was afraid of the people and so I gave in to them.”

15:35 is a sad consequence of Saul’s sin:

“Until the day Samuel died, he did not go to see Saul again, though Samuel mourned for him.”

I have always loved 1 Samuel 16:7:

“…The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
I want to investigate John 8:9 further because verse 8 says that Jesus “stooped down and wrote on the ground” (no mention of Him continuing to talk). And then, verse 9 begins, “At this, those who ‘heard’ began to go away one at a time…”

Application

Never partially obey God’s commands. Personal sacrifices don’t mean anything if we use them to barter with God for our disobedience in other areas. It’s better to follow God’s leading than to give in to the pressures of people. I need to look beyond appearances more and try and observe the hearts of people.

Prayer

“God, help me to be completely obedient. Help me to see people as You see them. May I not miss out on Your blessing due to sin in my life.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home