Monday, May 12, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
May 12, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

1 Samuel 12:1-13:22; John 7:1-29; Psalm 108:1-13; Proverbs 15:4.

Observation

I thought that 1 Samuel 12:21-22 was powerful:

“Do not turn away after useless idols. They can do you no good, nor can they rescue you because they are useless. For the sake of His great name the Lord will not reject His people, because the Lord was pleased to make you His own.”

I wonder how far into Saul’s kingship the Gilgal incident occurred. Samuel’s words to Saul in 1 Samuel 13:13-14 are sad, “You have not kept the command the Lord your God gave you; if you had, He would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time. But now your kingdom will not endure; the Lord has sought out a man after His own heart and appointed him leader of His people, because you have not kept the Lord’s command.” This punishment seems to come early in Saul’s reign. Sad.

Jesus’ words in John 7:24 are convicting and to the point, “Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment.”

Part of me identifies with the confusion of the Jews in John 7:26-27. Their knowledge of Jesus’ origins/relations (Joseph & Mary) did not fit their understanding of the Messiah’s credentials (from God).

Application

How often I turn to useless things expecting to derive joy, fulfillment, encouragement, strength… and so many other things – knowing all along that it’s a losing proposition. But sadly, this doesn’t keep me from trying.
I do not want to lose God’s blessing like Saul. What a tragic illustration of rising from nothing to everything, and then losing it so quickly.

Prayer

“God, please protect me. Guard me and guide me in Your ways. May I not miss out on Your perfect will for me because of disobedience.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home