Saturday, May 24, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
May 24, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

2 Samuel 4:1-6:23; John 13:31-14:14; Psalm 119:17-32; Proverbs 15:31-32.

Observation

David’s response to Recab & Baanah in 2 Samuel 4:10-11 is humorous:

“When a man told me, ‘Saul is dead,’ and thought he was bringing good news, I seized him and put him to death… That was the reward I gave him for his news! How much more – when wicked men have killed an innocent man in his own house and on his own bed.”

2 Samuel 5:13 tells us that David added to the number of wives and concubines in his household and he had more sons and daughters through them. It would seem that Solomon took after the example of his father.

Jesus’ statement to Philip in John 14:9 is powerful. To see Jesus is the same thing as seeing God the Father. To really know Jesus is to really know God.

Finally, Proverbs 15:31-32 is good wisdom. A rebuke given in love can be a blessing, helping us to mature in much needed ways and keeping us from potential heartache and trouble.


Application

Much of the teaching I have been listening to lately has to do with learning to receive rebukes. I respect people that are able to learn from correction and receive it gracefully. Someday I would like to be one of these people.

Prayer

“God, I pray that You would give me the strength and wisdom to learn from all people, particularly those who say things I don’t want to hear. Grant me the maturity to truly listen and discern Your truth as it relates to areas of my life that need to change.”

2 Comments:

At May 25, 2008 at 10:40 PM , Blogger c.w. goad said...

I was thinking just today about how David received Nathan's illustrations and messages/rebuke from the Lord. Theirs must have been a strong friendship.

Thanks for sharing.---a brother in TN,

Live raw,
ferventservant.blogspot.com

 
At May 26, 2008 at 10:05 PM , Blogger Bob DuPar said...

I believe you're right. And, I'm convinced that this "teachable" spirit which receives correction in humility, regardless of the source, is the authentic mark of a godly leader.

Thanks for your comments!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home