Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
May 21, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

1 Samuel 29:1-31:13; John 11:54-12:19; Psalm 118:1-18; Proverbs 15:24-26.

Observation

It’s a small line, a short phrase, in our OT reading today – but very powerful:

“But, David found strength in the Lord His God.”

Despite the opposition, circumstances and discouragement, David found strength in God. And, David sought God’s counsel continually – particularly about whether to go to war or not.

I like David’s attitude toward the 200 men who did not help him fight the battle. He still shared the plunder with them because he recognized that the Lord had fought and won the battle – not David and his men:

“…the Lord has protected us and handed over to us the forces that came against us.” (1 Samuel 30:23)

What a sad day when Saul and his three sons are all killed (31:6). The text does not elaborate about it, but Jonathan was David’s dear friend. This was a huge loss.

In John 11:10-11 the Pharisees are so insane that they want to kill Lazarus because of the number of people who are putting their faith in Jesus as a result of his testimony. You can hear the exasperation of the Pharisees in their comment in 12:19: “See, this is getting us nowhere. Look the whole world has gone after Him!”

Finally, I like Psalm 118:6,8-9:
“The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes.”

Application

It’s one thing to enquire of the Lord about whether to fight a battle. It’s another thing altogether to follow-through and fight the battle upon hearing God’s answer. So often we read these passages and say, “Well, if God spoke to me and told me I was going to win a battle, sure I would go and fight it. That would be easy.” But, battles are still scary and real. Battles still take a toll. They require bloodshed. They leave unpleasant memories. Stepping out in faith and fighting battles takes a lot of faith – faith that you heard God correctly, and faith that He will protect you and deliver on His promise.

Prayer

“God, help me not to shrink back from the battles You have called me to fight. Help me to have courage and faith. Help me to seek Your counsel before the battle. Help me to trust in Your protection.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home