Monday, May 26, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
May 26, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

2 Samuel 9:1-11:27; John 15:1-27; Psalm 119:49-64; Proverbs 16:1-3.

Observation

The story of David’s kindness to Mephibosheth is touching. It made me sad that M. considered himself like a “dead dog.” Yet, David made sure that M. ate at his table like one of the king’s sons and that M. was taken care of and provided for. David even gave M. a part of his father Saul’s land to live on. I’m sure this was a boost to his dignity and sense of independence.

In 2 Samuel 11:2 you get the sense that David knew exactly what he was doing when he took that evening walk around the roof of his palace. He was not the victim of a tempting coincidence. He knew there would be women bathing and that he had a royal view that probably no one else had given the height of his palace.

The rest of 2 Samuel 11 is just plain sad. David makes Uriah drunk. But, he is so honorable he still doesn’t go home and sleep with his wife. Instead he sleeps on a mat with David’s servants.

I wonder if Joab lost respect for David when he received David’s instructions regarding Uriah. Maybe, Joab was used to doing whatever he was asked and more concerned with power and position than matters of conscience.

2 Samuel 11:27b: “the thing David had done displeased the Lord” is a comment I would expect to see more in the OT – especially relating to the common practice of polygamy, temple prostitution, offering daughters to homosexual predators to protect guests…etc.

John 15:5 is a great reminder:

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing.”

15:8 tells us that our “bearing much fruit” not only brings God glory, but also is a sign of our being Christ’s disciples.

Application

Today’s story of David is a great example of all the times that I get into trouble because I go looking for sin. Too many times sin happens because I’m in the wrong place at the wrong time. David knew better. I know better. We all know better. I need to constantly remain in Christ so that I can bear fruit, glorify God, and represent Him well to a world that’s watching.

Prayer

“God, I want Your joy to be in me and I want my joy to be complete as You promised in John 15:11. Help me to feed on You rather than the things of the world.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home