Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
June 3, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

2 Samuel 20:14-21:22; Acts 1:1-26; Psalm 121:1-8; Proverbs 16:18.

Observation

I’m sure Mephibosheth was grateful that David kept his promise with Jonathan and spared his life. God really looked out for M. throughout his life.

Psalm 121 is a beautiful psalm though short. Four times the psalmist talks of God’s keeping power:

“He who keeps you will not slumber.” Vs. 3
“Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.” Vs. 4
“The Lord is your keeper.” Vs. 5
“He will keep your soul.” Vs. 7

And, there are two other references to God’s protection with similar phrasing:

“The Lord will protect you from all evil.” Vs. 7
“The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forever.” Vs. 8

All 6 occurrences of the word go back to the same Hebrew word which means “to hold secure, guard, keep, care for.” Quite a picture of God’s loving protection for His people.

Acts 1 is full of great stuff as well. I love the promise that the disciples would receive power when the Holy Spirit would come upon them, and that they would be witnesses throughout the earth. One has to wonder – where is that power today among God’s people? The cults put us to shame in their zeal for witnessing. And, we claim to know the Truth.

I also like Acts 1:14, “These all (disciples) with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.” It’s very neat to see how connected Mary stayed with the disciples, and that she was devoted to prayer and seeking God.

Application

I definitely underestimate and take for granted the “keeping” power of God in my life. I have no idea how much God protects me on a daily basis. I also desire to experience God’s power through the Holy Spirit in my life to be His witness. I want to grow in boldness. Finally, I would like to be part of gathering believers together “with one mind” for the purpose of prayer.

Prayer

“God, thank You for Your keeping power in my life. Thank You for protecting me in ways I’m not even aware. Help me to be bold in my witness for You.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home