Saturday, May 31, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
May 31, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

2 Samuel 17:1-29; John 19:23-42; Psalm 119:129-152; Proverbs 16:12-13.

Observation

What a sad commentary in 2 Samuel 17:4 that Ahithophel’s plan seemed good to Absalom and all the elders of Israel.

I’ve said it before but I think it’s so amazing that Christ was in control of His life right down to His final breath when He delivered up His Spirit. (John 19:30) And, prophecy continues to be fulfilled even after Jesus’ death – “Not one of His bones will be broken.” (19:36)

I’m impressed that Jesus had such an effect on Nicodemus that here he is involved in Jesus’ burial and final preparations.

Finally, I love Psalm 119:133,

“Direct my footsteps according to Your Word; let no sin rule over me.”

Application

Ahithophel is a good reminder that wicked counsel ends up reaping destruction, not personal gain. Nicodemus is a testimony to the power of discipleship, and the loyalty which is cultivated through such an investment. Lastly, God’s Word is the practical means through which we can find direction and power to keep sin from ruling over us.

Prayer

“God, I pray along with David that ‘sin would not rule over me.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home