Monday, June 2, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
June 2, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

2 Samuel 19:11-20:13; John 21:1-25; Psalm 120:1-7; Proverbs 16:16-17.

Observation

The exchange between Mephibosheth and David is sweet. M. is finally able to defend himself and tell David that he was betrayed by Ziba. And, M’s perspective of how David has treated his family is commendable. It’s nice to hear someone acknowledge the fact that David went above and beyond to extend kindness to Saul’s household.

The text isn’t really clear in 2 Samuel 20:3, but David confined his 10 concubines which he left in charge of his palace because of their sexual infidelity with Absalom. David provided for them until the day of their death, but he ceased to have relations with them.

I’ve heard and read so many different treatments of the “Peter, do you love Me?” passage that I don’t know what I think anymore. I need to study it in more depth. But, on the surface I’m inclined to think that “Do you love Me more than these?” might be a gentle rebuke along the lines of: “I made you a fisher of men, and now you’re back to fishing for fish. Feed my sheep.”

Application

My takeaway from today’s reading in short and simple: One of the most powerful and practical ways that I can express my love to God is to feed His sheep and take care of them.

Prayer

“God, thank You for all of Your blessings and goodness. Help me to live with a consistent spirit of gratitude.”

2 Comments:

At July 25, 2008 at 9:25 AM , Blogger jen said...

Hey Bob,
This is Jennifer Frueh Courduff. I was a friend of yours in high school. We met at Mt. Hermon camp one summer. I am so proud of you! It's good to see you are continuing to do God's work.

Blessings to you are your family!
Jennifer

 
At July 30, 2008 at 10:58 PM , Blogger Bob DuPar said...

Thanks! It's good to hear from you. I hope you are doing well also.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home