Sunday, June 1, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
June 1, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

2 Samuel 18:1-19:10; John 20:1-31; Psalm 119:153-176; Proverbs 16:14-15.

Observation

David’s grief over Absalom’s death is heartbreaking. But, this is the same David who did not talk or see his son’s face for two years. I guess the finality of it all hit David. Perhaps the lack of closure on things David wished he had done differently also contributed to his sorrow.

I would love to hear and read about the “many other miraculous signs” which Jesus did (John 20:30) which are not recorded. Hopefully we can watch the footage one day in heaven. I love the phrasing of 20:31 – that “by believing we have life in His name!” What a neat reality!

Finally, how comforting it is to hear the Psalmist himself at the end of the longest chapter in the Bible (Psalm 119:176) confess that he strays like a lost sheep, but that he desires for God to “seek His servant.”

Application

I guess the lesson and application from David & Absalom’s relationship is: make the most of the time you have. And, don’t allow toxic residue to build in your relationships – especially your relationship with your immediate family/children.

Prayer

“God, I echo David’s prayer, ‘Seek after me. Save me from my wandering. I think of the words of the great hymn: ‘Prone to wander, Lord I feel it. Prone to leave the God I love. Here’s my heart, oh take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home