Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
June 4, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

2 Samuel 22:21-23:23; Acts 2:1-47; Psalm 122:1-9; Proverbs 16:19-20.

Observation

2 Samuel 22:1 says that David sang the words of the song (which continues into today’s OT reading – the beginning of today’s OT reading) when the Lord delivered him from the hand of Saul. So, all of David’s talk today about “I have not done evil by turning from my God; I have been blameless before Him and kept myself from sin; the Lord has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to my cleanness in His sight” (2 Samuel 22:22-25) is before the sin with Bathsheba, before the killing of Uriah her husband. It’s amazing to me how God can receive our praise of Him and our lofty promises, pledges and declarations one day – knowing down the road in His omniscience when we will sin and blow it. That’s grace and patience!

Today’s text had a lot of my favorite verses:

“You are my lamp, O Lord; The Lord turns my darkness into light.” (22:29)

“As for God, His way is perfect; the Word of the Lord is flawless.” (22:31)

“It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.” (22:33)

“The God of Israel spoke, the Rock of Israel said to me: ‘When one rules over men in righteousness, when he rules in the fear of God, he is like the light of morning at sunrise on a cloudless morning, like the brightness after rain that brings the grass from the earth.” (2 Samuel 23:3-4)

“You have made know to me the paths of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence.” (Acts 2:28)
The reference in Acts 2:17-18 about “sons and daughters” prophesying is interesting in view of Scripture which seems to prohibit women from teaching in church. Understanding God-ordained roles which were set-forth from creation (not the result or punishment from the Fall) and abiding within proper lines of biblical submission, is it wrong for women to teach and preach?

Finally, in reading the account of the early church in Acts 2:42-47 and how they daily devoted themselves to prayer, God’s Word, fellowship, sharing & meeting needs… I think we’ve lost something. The early church witnessed “wonders and miraculous signs” and also enjoyed “the favor of all the people.” It’s time for the church of God to look in the mirror and take inventory.

Application

My application from today is to look at the church in Acts 2 and reflect on our mission, and how we can reclaim it.

Prayer

“God, holiness and godliness begin with choices and people who will stand with You, uncompromising and passionate to live-out Your Word. Help me to be such a person, and to make choices that will bear this kind of fruit.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home