Thursday, June 5, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
June 5, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

2 Samuel 23:24-24:25; Acts 3:1-26; Psalm 123:1-4; Proverbs 16:21-23.

Observation

The story of Peter and John reminds me of the song I learned at church as a child:

“Silver and gold have I none. But, such as I have give I thee. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.”

What an experience that must have been for the man to enter the temple for the first time on his own – walking, and jumping and praising God. I love Peter’s humility also. He tells the people, “Men of Israel, why does this surprise you? Why do you stare at us as if by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk?”

Acts 3:15 is a beautiful verse: “You killed the Author of Life, but God raised Him from the dead. We are witnesses of this.” And, 3:19-20 as well, “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, and that He may send the Christ, who has been appointed for you – even Jesus.”

Finally, I like Proverbs 16:23a, “A wise man’s heart guides his mouth.”

Application

The story of Peter and John makes me think: “Do we give people what they ask for or what they really need?” As Christians, I believe God calls us to look beyond the surface, beneath the superficial, and with the Spirit’s help, address real issues.

Prayer

“God, help me to be Your witness – that You are the Author of Life. May Your wisdom guide my mouth and actions.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home