Thursday, December 18, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
December 18, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Habakkuk 1:1:3:19; Revelation 9:1-21; Psalm 137:1-9; Proverbs 30:10

Observation

“Look at the nations and watch – and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told.” Habakkuk 1:5

“Of what value is an idol, since a man has carved it? Or an image that teaches lies? For he who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak.” Habakkuk 2:18

“Lord, I have heard of Your fame; I stand in awe of Your deeds, O Lord. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy.” Habakkuk 3:2

“Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.” Habakkuk 3:17-18

Application

I have heard so many people quote Habakkuk 1:5 over the years, asking God to do something amazing in our time, ignoring the fact that the “amazing thing” God did (in the context of Hab. 1:5) was to use a foreign nation (Babylon) to discipline His people. Oh! Now that doesn’t sound so good! Maybe I won’t hang that verse on the fridge!

Habakkuk 3:17-18 doesn’t fully “hit home” for most of us with the images which are mentioned. But, allow me to translate it into modern English:

“Though the stock market looks ‘bearish’ and there are no jobs to be had, though commodities have tanked and crops are dying to frost, disease and the economy in general, though there is no money left in checking or savings, YET I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.”

Does that strike a more familiar chord? It does for me.

Prayer

“Lord, I do stand in awe of Your miraculous works. Please renew them in our day. You know what I/we need. Have Your way! Be sovereign! I will find joy in You alone, my God and Savior.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home