Saturday, November 29, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
November 29, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Daniel 6:1-28; 2 Peter 3:1-18; Psalm 119:129-152; Proverbs 28:21-22

Observation

As I read through Daniel I keep thinking that he must have been exhausted and frustrated having to prove himself to three different kings. Each time they discover his gifts and talents, and he is promoted to positions of leadership and privilege which he held previously. I can identify with yesterday’s reading when Daniel finally says to King Belshazzar, “You may keep your gifts for yourself and give your rewards to someone else.” (5:17)

Daniel chapter 6 speaks to Daniel’s exceptional character and giftedness: “Daniel so distinguished himself among the administrators and the satraps by his exceptional qualities that the king planned to set him over the whole kingdom. …the administrators and the satraps tried to find grounds for charges against Daniel in his conduct of government affairs, but they were unable to do so. They could find no corruption in him, because he was trustworthy and neither corrupt nor negligent.” Daniel 6:3-4

“The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” 2 Peter 3:9

Application

I often wonder why God allows different things to happen in my life. Daniel’s story reminds me that it’s not always about the lessons we need to learn. Sometimes it’s about how God wants to use us in the lives of others. My mentality is: “God haven’t I learned this lesson.” But, God’s perspective is: “I’m allowing this or that in your life another time so that I might demonstrate my power and glory to others.”

God’s timing has nothing to do with forgetfulness, or stalling for time. It has everything to do with His redemptive plans and purposes. I should never abuse God’s patience and view it as acceptance of my sin.

Prayer

“Lord, please show us examples of Christian leaders like Daniel that You are allowing to excel in positions of influence in order that they might guide our nation and world back to You.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home