Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
July 9, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

1 Chronicles 7:1-8:40; Acts 27:1-20; Psalm 7:1-17; Proverbs 18:22.

Observation

Paul’s experience in Acts 27 comes after being falsely accused and imprisoned for a few years. I’m sure there were many times that Paul felt discouraged. His life and his fate seemed to be controlled more by politics than by facts and the truth. Acts 27:20 strikes a sad note,

“When neither sun nor stars appeared for many days and the storm continued raging, we finally gave up all hope of being saved.”

Spiritual despair is a struggle in and of itself, not to mention when it is compounded by the physical threat of losing one’s life.

David’s words in Psalm 7 are beautiful but I don’t know that many of us would have the confidence to voice them for ourselves:

“Judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness, according to my integrity, O Most High. O Righteous God, who searches minds and hearts…”

I want God to judge me according to His grace and mercy, not according to my “righteousness” and “integrity.”

Finally, Proverbs 18:22 is great:

“He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord.”

One of the sweetest blessings in life is a good wife!

Application

My takeaway from today’s reading is simply to trust God during the hard times when there seems to be no end in sight. He is faithful. He is sovereign.

Prayer

“Lord, help me to trust You. Trust is such a hard thing to hold onto.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home