Monday, July 7, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
July 7, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

1 Chronicles 4:5-5:17; Acts 25:1-27; Psalm 5:1-12; Proverbs 18:19.

Observation

I’ve always loved Psalm 5. In today’s reading I was particularly impressed with verses 11-12 because of our studies on Sunday mornings relating to God being our refuge:

“But let all take refuge in You be glad, let them ever sing for joy; and may You shelter them, that those who love Your name may exult in You. For it is You who blesses the righteous man, O Lord, You surround him with favor as with a shield.”

If I were Paul I would have been pretty discouraged having my life hang in the balance with someone like King Agrippa. It’s hard to trust someone’s judgment and objectivity when they’re living incestuously with their sister. Agrippa clearly had his own moral code and set of “rights” and “wrongs.”

Application

In a crazy world of sinful, mixed up, people - it’s hard to trust anyone. I choose to trust that God will sovereignly work through people and situations for His purposes and His glory.

Prayer

“Lord, help my hope not to fade when situations and people seem not to change. Please show me signs of encouragement that You are still at work.”

2 Comments:

At July 7, 2008 at 11:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps it's you who needs to change?

 
At July 8, 2008 at 12:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't mean the above comment disrespectfully. But it's what I'm learning about grace. When I'm praying for everyone or everything else to change... it's usually me God is working/waiting on.

Also, a relationship that lacks trust, lacked grace first. Pride will shut down grace. So will rejection. But an environment filled with grace displays truth, acceptance, healing, safety, perspective, freedom and empowerment.

One of the greatest gifts of grace we can offer another person is a safe place to fail. Grace never sees another's needs or failures as weakness.

Grace "lets you love me on your terms, not mine". We can't experience another person's acceptance, love or guidance unless we let that person give us these things.

Will others meet our needs perfectly and will we trust perfectly? No. But grace is the face that love wears when it meets with imperfection.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home