Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
July 1, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

2 Kings 18:13-19:37; Acts 21:1-16; Psalm 149:1-9; Proverbs 18:8.

Observation

I could not believe the king of Assyria’s arrogance and the insulting accusations he made against Hezekiah and God. On one hand he tells the people to rebel against H. and not to trust his claim that God would deliver them. Then, he also claims,

“Have I come to attack and destroy this place without word from the Lord? The Lord Himself told me to march against this country and destroy it.”

He goes on to say that no god of any nation has ever delivered his people from the hand of the Assyrians. The people of Judah wisely remain silent to these accusations and charges as H. had instructed them. They don’t get drawn in to the verbal assault. And, I love H’s response. He tears his clothes and goes into the temple to seek God’s face and lay out the situation before Him. Again, in 2 Kings 19:14 when H. receives another threatening letter from his enemies “he went up to the temple of the Lord and spread it out before the Lord.”

As H. prays to God he rightly understands that the insulting words of Sennacherib are ultimately directed against God and not him. Furthermore, he acknowledges that the inability of foreign gods to deliver their people from the Assyrians is because they are impotent objects of wood and stone, fashioned by sinful, human hands. Finally, H. calls upon God to respond in power so that “all the kingdoms on earth may know that You alone, O Lord, are God!” (19:16-19)

God’s response to the king of Assyria is powerful:
“Who is it you have insulted and blasphemed? Against whom have you raised your voice and lifted your eyes in pride? Against the Holy One of Israel!” (19:22) And then, in classic language God basically says, ‘I know where you live so watch out!”

That night the angel of the Lord took out 185,000Assyrian soldiers. And, not too long afterward two of Sennacherib’s sons killed him while he was worshipping his god. What an ironic twist of fate. S. had taunted Yahweh for being impotent. But, where was his god to deliver him?

Application

I was moved by the visual of Hezekiah “spreading out” his troubles before the Lord and seeking God’s face. I have not got down, with my face on the ground, before the Lord in a long time – too long. But, today I felt compelled. It was the only response that seemed appropriate. There’s nothing magical about posture. But, I have personally become too comfortable in God’s grace and the open access to Him through Jesus that I take for granted all too often. I spread out my issues before Him; and, I am now trying to wait upon Him (Sunday’s lesson).

Prayer

“Lord, help me to hear You in silence. Help me to take time to be silent before You. Grant me the patience to wait upon You and to trust You completely.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home