Friday, July 4, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
July 4, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

2 Kings 23:31-25:30; Acts 22:17-23:10; Psalm 2:1-12; Proverbs 18:13.

Observation

The crowd listened to the Apostle Paul and tolerated what he had to say until he started talking about how God had sent him to the Gentiles. Then, it was, “Rid the earth of him! He’s not fit to live!” (Acts 22:22) How sad that the Jews saw God’s plan of salvation as only applying to them – reminds me of Jonah’s attitude.

Jesus stood silent before his accusers and when struck He uttered no response. Paul, on the other hand, when struck unfairly on the mouth lashed back and said, “God will strike you, you whitewashed wall! You sit there to judge me according to the law, yet you yourself violate the law by commanding that I be struck!”

Then, Paul really got things going in Acts 23:6 when he said, “I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee. I stand on trial because of my hope in the resurrection of the dead.” After this, the Sadducees and the Pharisees went at it over the topic of the resurrection and the debate became so violent that the commander removed Paul back to the barracks before he was torn to pieces.

Application

It’s sad when we treat people differently because they’re not like us or because they don’t share our beliefs. There is only one way to salvation. We did not make up that truth. God did. But, that truth applies to everyone who will believe and place their trust in Jesus as Savior and Lord.

Prayer

“Lord, help me to see that Your plan for the world is so much bigger than my limited, finite wisdom – so much deeper than my life experiences. Help me to trust Your sovereignty and be willing to be stretched beyond my comfort zone.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home