Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
July 8, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

1 Chronicles 5:18-6:81; Acts 26:1-32; Psalm 6:1-10; Proverbs 18:20-21.

Observation

In the opening verses of our OT reading today we read,

“He (God) answered their prayers because they trusted in Him.”
(1 Chronicles 5:20)

Then a few verses later, in reference to a different group of people, we read,

“They were brave warriors, famous men, and heads of their families. But they were unfaithful to the God of their fathers and prostituted themselves to the gods of the peoples of the land...”

What good is it to be a brave warrior, a famous man, a head of your family, if you get the most important thing wrong – being faithful to God?

I like Paul’s words in Acts 26:8 to King Agrippa and those hearing his trial:

“Why should any of you consider it incredible that God raises the dead?”

God’s commission to Paul is also inspiring,

“I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.” (Acts 26:18)

To “kick against the goads” in Acts 26:14 was just another way of saying “to offer vain or pointless resistance.”

Agrippa says sarcastically to Paul in 26:28, “Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?” Little did he realize that he missed his divine appointment.

Finally, I thought that Proverbs 18:21 was powerful,

“The tongue has the power of life and death.”

Application

Faithfulness to God is more important than any other character trait or attribute.

Why am I surprised when God works miracles? Should I expect anything less from God?

Those who have not given their life to God through Christ are under satan’s power.

I want to use my tongue to heal and give life, not to destroy and cause death.

Prayer

“Lord, help me to realize that what may seem like a horrible situation or circumstance from my perspective may be an opportunity for salvation in someone else’s life. Help me to remain open to be used by You, even in the midst of suffering and trial.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home