Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Pastor Bob DuPar
January 6, 2009

Journal Entry



Scripture

Genesis 13:5-15:21; Matthew 5:27-48; Psalm 6:1-10; Proverbs 1:29-33

Observation

“So Abram said to Lot, ‘Let’s not have any quarreling between you and me, or between your herdsmen and mine, for we are brothers. Is not the whole land before you? Let’s part company. If you go to the left, I’ll go to the right; if you go to the right, I’ll go to the left.” (Genesis 13:8-9) Of course Lot picked the land that was well-watered, “like the garden of the Lord.” But, then there’s the interesting side note: “This was before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.”

“After this, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision:

‘Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward!”
Genesis 15:1

“Abram believed the Lord, and He credited it to him as righteousness.”
Genesis 15:6

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you: ‘Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. …If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?” Matthew 5:43-44, 46-47

Application

If I had been in Abram’ shoes I would have been pretty tweaked that my brother chose the good land. But, God sovereignly protected Abram. Who would want to raise a family in Sodom & Gomorrah? (Genesis 19 is an indication of the lack of morality in S. & G. when Lot has to offer his daughters to the homosexuals in order to protect his guests.) And, it would not be long until S. & G. (Lot’s inheritance) would be erased from the landscape! (Incidentally, it’s sad that some of the most beautiful places to live end up being some of the most sinful environments to live!)

I desire to have a faith and trust in God like Abram’s – to take God at His word.

Matthew 5 has me asking myself how often I befriend those who are hurtful to me or who have nothing to offer me.

Prayer

“Lord, thank You for being my shield and my very great reward. Help me to keep this perspective: that You are my reward and not earthly treasures.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home