Saturday, January 3, 2009

Pastor Bob DuPar
January 3, 2009

Journal Entry



Scripture

Genesis 5:1-7:24; Matthew 3:7-4:11; Psalm 3:1-8; Proverbs 1:10-19

Observation

Just about everyone knows that Methuselah lived longer than anyone else in history: 969 years. His name means, “When he dies it will come.” And, when he died the great flood came. I had forgotten, however, that Jared lived almost as long as Methuselah – 962 years! I also think it’s hilarious that Noah did not start having kids until he was 500 years old! Talk about being embarrassed at back-to-school night: “Hey, is Father Time your dad?!”

Genesis 2:4 is just plain weird! Is this Scriptural support for the gods of mythology: Hercules, Zeus,.. This is a sketchy and isolated proof text – not worth building an argument or theory upon, but interesting nonetheless.

“Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.” Matthew 3:8

“It is written…It is written…It is written…” Matthew 4:4-10

Application

Matthew 3:8 is one of those passages which convicts and challenges me no matter how many times I read it. Does my life give evidence of true repentance? Is there visible, tangible proof of my gratefulness for my salvation – seen through the fruit of my life? I hope so! I am certainly not to keep sinning that grace may abound (Romans 6:1). I am to bear fruit in keeping with repentance.

Each time Jesus was tempted and confronted by Satan He responded by quoting Scripture. The Word of God is “living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword…” (Hebrews 4:12) Scripture is definitely the best way to ward off temptation and stand strong against the enemy’s attacks. Reason #1,000 for committing God’s Word to memory; and, for reading through the Bible on a daily basis!

Prayer

“Lord, thank You for Your Word. Thank You for the power, protection and wisdom of Your Word. Help me to be ‘diligent to present myself approved, as a workman who need not be ashamed, handling accurately Your Word of Truth.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home