Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Pastor Bob DuPar
January 13, 2009

Journal Entry



Scripture

Genesis 28:1-29:35; Matthew 9:18-38; Psalm 11:1-7; Proverbs 3:11-12

Observation

“When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he thought, ‘Surely the Lord is in this place, and I was not aware of it.’ He was afraid and said, ‘How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God; this is the gate of heaven.” Genesis 28:16-17

“So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her.” Genesis 29:20

Leah named her first son Reuben because she thought, “The Lord has seen my misery. Surely my husband will love me now.” (Genesis 29:32) She named her second son Simeon – saying, “Because the Lord heard that I am not loved, He gave me this one too.” (29:33) She named her third son Levi thinking, “Now at last my husband will become attached to me, because I have borne him three sons.” (29:34) Finally, she named her fourth and final son Judah, and said, “This time I will praise the Lord.” Then she stopped having children. (29:35)

“When He (Jesus) saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.”
Matthew 9:36

“My son, do not reject the discipline of the Lord Or resent His reproof, for whom the Lord loves He disciplines, Even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights.” Proverbs 3:11-12

Application

God’s presence turns even the most ordinary of places into places which are windows/gates to heaven. So often God is at work in a person, or a place or a situation and we were not even aware of it. Becoming aware of God’s presence and activity in this world is crucial to seeing His power and being involved in His plan.

There’s a beautiful lesson in Leah’s struggle and the naming of her sons. Reuben: The Lord has seen me – maybe my husband will notice me now. Simeon: God has heard me – maybe Jacob will hear my distress. Levi: God has attached Himself to my plight – maybe Jacob will become attached to me. But, the last name – Judah: “I will praise the Lord,” represents a shift in Leah’s thinking and spiritual condition. Leah has now found hope, perspective and strength in God alone. It doesn’t matter what Jacob thinks about her or how he treats her; she is resolved to praise her God regardless.

Prayer

“Lord, grant me the inner fortitude to praise You consistently despite my life circumstances. The love and affirmation of others is nice, but it will never sustain me. Help me to find my strength, my equilibrium, in You.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home