Friday, January 9, 2009

Pastor Bob DuPar
January 8, 2009

Journal Entry



Scripture

Genesis 18:20-19:38; Matthew 6:25-7:14; Psalm 8:1-9; Proverbs 2:6-15

Observation

I have often looked at Genesis 18:23ff. as a great example of God’s mercy and compassion in His vow to not wipe out the whole territory of Sodom & Gomorrah if 50 righteous people were found (45, 40, 30, 20, 10). But, what a sad commentary that apparently not even 10 could be found! How bad is a city when you can’t even find 10 people who fear the Lord? And, our answer to this comes in chapter 19 when we read about every man in the city (both young and old – think about that!) attempting to beat down Lot’s door in order that they might have their way with his male guests (angels). That’s just sick!

I wonder how many years had elapsed between Abraham’s offer to Lot to pick whatever piece of land looked best to him, and this catastrophic moment of divine judgment. Talk about having your investment go up in smoke!

The story of Lot’s daughters getting him drunk in order to continue their father’s lineage is further proof to me that the Bible is a divine rather than human record. Had the master editor been anyone other than God, this record would certainly have been edited, censored, or removed altogether! Our whole OT reading today documents a pretty ugly, embarrassing point in biblical history.

“Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? …Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:27, 34

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.” Matthew 7:7-8

Application

We often talk in religious circles of “standing-in-the-gap.” This catch phrase/principle is certainly appropriate and enlightening in view of the fact that Sodom & Gomorrah could have been spared if there had been 10 righteous people.

As I read Matthew 7:7-8 I could not help but think that I/we don’t seek enough. I don’t knock enough. And, I certainly don’t ask enough. I need to trust that my Heavenly Father wants to bless me and use me in ways that I have not even considered.

Prayer

“Lord, thank You for opening doors when I knock, for answering me when I ask, and for meeting me when I seek. Thank You for Your incredible mercy and grace.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home