Saturday, April 26, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
April 25, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Judges 4:1-5:31; Luke 22:35-53; Psalm 94:1-23; Proverbs 14:3-4.

Observation

Deborah’s role of leadership over Israel is one which certainly needs to be considered when deciding upon the role of women in ministry today. Some commentators like John MacArthur say that she is an exception to the standard and was only in this position of leadership because Barak shrugged his leadership role. But, a careful reading of the text reveals that she was in leadership (established in this role) long before the passage mentions Barak’s cowardice and need for Deborah’s support. I am not taking sides – merely observing that the issues aren’t as clear-cut and simplistic as we are sometimes led to believe.

Luke 22:45 is interesting because the passage says that the disciples were “exhausted from sorrow.” The exhaustion of sorrow is more physically taxing and draining than any exhaustion that comes from physical exertion.

I love Psalm 94:18-19:

“When I said, ‘My foot is slipping,’ Your love, O Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, Your consolation brought joy to my soul.”

What a beautiful statement of David’s personal experience which also expresses what we as believer’s find to be true in our own personal walk.

Finally, the wisdom and humor of Proverbs 14:4,

“Where there are no oxen, the manger is empty, but from the strength of an ox comes an abundant harvest.”
You can live a neat, clean life – with no messes – cattle-free, or you can learn to get along with the mess and enjoy abundant harvests! Some trials and challenges come with the territory, but they also include hidden (and unhidden) benefits.

Application

I would like to make God’s love and consolation my sustaining power, support & joy – not just in tough times, but all the time. Proverbs is a good reminder for me as well that some of life’s most fruitful and successful endeavors can be messy. I need to learn to live with more messes.

Prayer

“God, thank You that You are always enough. You are always faithful. You are always there. As the famous old hymn says, ‘I need Thee, Oh I need Thee! Every hour I need Thee. Oh, bless me now my Savior, I come to Thee.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home