Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
April 22, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Joshua 24:1-33; Luke 21:1-28; Psalm 89:38-52; Proverbs 13:20-23.

Observation

Joshua 24:14-15 is timeless wisdom:

“Now fear the Lord and serve Him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your forefathers worshiped… then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve… But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord!”

Joshua 24:31 is a testimony to Joshua’s life and ministry:

“Israel served the Lord throughout the lifetime of Joshua and of the elders who outlived him and who had experienced everything the Lord had done for Israel.”

But, it’s a foreboding verse because you just know that in a few chapters the text is going to say that Israel wandered because of weak leadership and because a generation arose that did not remember God’s mighty acts.

I’m always challenged and convicted by the widow in Luke 21 who gave all that she had to live on. What faith & trust! This is a level of trust in God that dwarfs my faith by comparison.

Finally, I love the image in Luke 21:28 of standing up and lifting our heads, especially as times get tougher, because we know that our redemption is drawing near!

Application

I want to lift my head and stand in times of trial! What a witness and testimony to the victorious power of God at work in our lives. I want to display joy in the midst of suffering and God’s strength in the midst of my weakness and brokenness.

Prayer

“God, may I never forget that my redemption is drawing near. It’s purchased, promised and reserved for me. May I live with a passion and purpose that results from the confidence of this reality.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home